Tuesday, June 14, 2011

What's Stewing?:: The Beginning

Casserole Cookbook
How many of you knew a casserole is technically a stew? Due to my husband's awesome thrifty find and addition to my cookbook collection: 365 Favorite Brand Name Casseroles and One-Dish Meals, I began doing some research on this staple dish of our home as I often make these easy yummy meals and am always looking for new ideas. I pleasantly discovered the definition of casserole is "a kind of stew that is cooked slowly in the oven" and that my dictionary has a table of over 50 stews and casseroles from all over the world. Dishes from Italy, India, and Ireland, French, Caribbean, and Southern flavors, and Hungarian, Chinese, and Jewish origins. You can travel the world through the many delicious styles of stews and casseroles. 

Casseroles and Stews are such an easy, tasty affordable way to feed a family, even our little family of two. And they are a great way to make ingredients stretch and stay green by saving waste! Plus my hubby loves anything in a sauce, cream, baked cheese, gravy, soup...you get the point. I can even get him to eat his most dreaded food enemy (mushrooms) if I dice them up in something, he doesn't even taste them.


Researching the vast array that is the world of stews left me hungry and excited to try them all. That would be such a feat! But it would make a really great blog series...and since some of the dishes are already in my current cooking arsenal (some of our faves: tuna casserole, spicy turkey chili, and my mother's baked mac & cheese) I thought why not? I've already got a start on the list. 


So, stay tuned foodies as we eat our way from adobo to waterzooi, and enlighten you on our favorites as we explore What's Stewing? 

Check out our adventures in What's Stewing? to find delicious stew and casserole recipes.

Here's a taste of what's to come and links to what we've tried so far::

adobo
baked ziti
beef bourguignon
beef stew
beef stroganoff
blanquette de veau
bobotie
bouillabaisse
Brunswick stew
burgoo
carne guisada
cassoulet
chicken and dumplings
chicken cacciatore
chicken Marengo
chicken paprika
cholent
chop suey
choucroute garni
cioppino
colcannon
curry
dhal
daube
eggplant parmigiana
fricassee
ful medames
Goulash
groundnut stew
gumbo
hasenpfeffer
hunter’s stew
Irish stew
jager-eintopf
jambalaya
kedgeree
kugel
Scouse
lobster Newberg
macaroni & cheese
manicotti
matelote
Mongolian hot pot
moussaka
mulligatawny
olla podrida
pallea
peperonata
pepper pot
potage
pot-au-feu
ragout
ratatouille
rendang
Swedish meatballs
waterzooi

No comments:

Post a Comment