Saturday, August 3, 2013

Good Eats:: Arugula Salad with Strawberry Rhubarb Vinaigrette

 

This salad is sooo good! When you want something summery, light, fresh and seasonal this salad is perfect.  I've been inspired to start eating more seasonally and to get braver with my food choices lately. Mainly for health reasons - my nutritionist had me make some changes that had me exploring my fruits and veggies in a whole new light, and I've been a part of a cooking group recently that has motivated me to try new things (more on that later...).  This salad incorporates several foods that are in season now:  arugula, radish, rhubarb and strawberries

If you want to explore eating more fun and seasonal foods, I suggest using the site Eat The Seasons. I bookmarked the site on my phone and pull it up at the grocery store to use it as my fruits and veggie list. The more unique foods have the useful feature of linking to info on how to make the best selection of your produce, how to prepare it, and links to unique recipes featuring the item. 

While I had several seasonal foods incorporated in this dish, my main focus was rhubarb. And I was seeking something light and fresh (i.e., probably a salad). I found this recipe at The Rhubarb Compendium (who knew?) and adapted it to my own tastes here for you. I love that this dressing is a thick, beautiful pink shade and covers the salad ingredients very well so use sparingly.

Make and enjoy! 

Pairs nicely with::
I think this would be a good entertaining salad and would go nicely alongside roasted chicken for dinner or a delicious deli sandwich for lunch.

**This recipe is husband approved**
(For those that don't know...my husband, as many others like him, likes the foods he is used to but since I started my dinner club he's opened up to trying a lot more things. Arugula would've had him running in the past!)

Ingredients::
1 C chopped fresh rhubarb (1 stalk)
1 C chopped fresh strawberries
1 large shallot, chopped
1/2 T honey
1/3 C red wine vinegar
3/4 c EVOO
1 tsp spicy brown mustard
-----
1 bunch arugula (and spinach)
8-10 sliced strawberries
4-6 thinly julienned radishes
sliced raw almonds
1 oz fresh grated parmesan cheese

How you make it::
1. Simmer rhubarb and shallot in saucepan until almost tender, about 10 minutes.
2. Add strawberries and red wine vinegar. Cook with lid on until strawberries wilt a bit. Set aside until cool enough to add to a blender.
4. Puree. Pulse in EVOO and mustard.
5. Serve at room temp or chill.  Use on a salad of mainly arugula, some spinach, julienned radishes, sliced raw almonds and top with freshly grated parmesan cheese. You could top with some black pepper for added spice but I preferred it without.

No comments:

Post a Comment