Thursday, August 8, 2013

Good Eats:: Pickled Eggs with Fresh Beets (sugar-free)

A new trend has been developing in my kitchen...taking even the most modest, ordinary recipes and making them free of anything I find unnecessarily unhealthy and replacing those ingredients with a healthy alternative. For example, sugar in my house now equals honey, applesauce, brown rice syrup, and truvia when I really need a sugar flavor and not just sweetness. For this specific recipe, I traded out the forbidden white powder for my faithful raw honey. Raw honey is sooo good for you and plenty sweet!

The inspiration for making this recipe healthy...I grew up eating pickled eggs as a kid. And if you didn't know, it's a culinary tradition of the Pennsylvania dutch - they know their food - but most of it is loaded with unhealthy ingredients by my standards. But there's just no way I'd live without a pickled egg ever again because it had sugar in it. I like most anything pickled, really, and even have my own pickle recipe - sans the sugar of course - which I will share soon.  For now, try this tasty recipe and enjoy your beautiful pickled eggs!

Ingredients::
3 large beets or 5 medium (I like a lot of beets!)
6 eggs
2 Tbsp raw honey
1/2 C apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp ground cloves (or 3 whole)
1 tsp cinnamon (or 1 stick)
Generous pinch of sea salt

*read all instructions on this before you begin - there is more than one method noted in the instructions*

How to::
1. Roast beets with skin covered in EVOO for 30-45 minutes until soft and skin is beginning to separate from beet or wrinkle. Cool and peal skins. Slice and place in glass jar. Cover with water and place in fridge overnight.
Note: I roast my beets instead of boiling. I just like them this way and I'm usually roasting many of them for more than just this recipe. They are a staple in salads and other yummy veggie recipes for me. Plus, when I'm pickling I'm never in a hurry, it's a process. If you're in a hurry, boil them to get your beet liquid fast!
2. Hard boil your eggs. A few days old eggs are best for hard boiling so they peel easy. My method is to submerge in warm water, bring to a rapid boil. Remove from heat, cover with a lid and let sit for about 20 minutes. Then submerge in an ice bath. If peeling right away, place back in very hot water for a few minutes. (Or do this when you are ready to peel.)
3. Pour your beet juice that is now a dark, dark purple water (whether they sat overnight or you just boiled them and let them cool) into a larger container that will hold your beets, liquids, and 6 peeled eggs.
4. Add the honey, apple cider vinegar, and spices to beat juice and mix well.
5. Add eggs and beets. Place in fridge overnight.

Serve when entertaining in a buffet of pickled veggies and olives. Or just keep on hand as a quick, yummy protein snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment