Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Good Eats:: Warm Asian-Style Quinoa


Asian-Style Quinoa
Photo from One Perfect Bite

I'm always exploring new and healthy, but delicious, foods to incorporate into our staple diet and quinoa is something I've been wanting to try for so long but was somewhat intimidated by because I know nothing about it! Is it like rice? Is it more like couscous? I didn't know. Plus, the few recipes I had seen used it in cold salads and for some reason that just wasn't working for me. I wanted something hot I could eat for dinner. When I discovered this great warm recipe that even my hubby's particular taste buds would enjoy, I was thrilled! (Thanks to One Perfect Bite for the original recipe! My slightly altered version is below.)

This recipe includes one of our fave veggies, edamame, often found in Asian dishes and with it's unique flavor I decided to pair it with another Asian dish we love, delicious Pork Potstickers, in case this new food introduction didn't quite work out. The combo was ideal. And the quinoa was awesome! I would even recommend the unique tarragon and lemon dressing on a fresh summer salad. 

We rounded out the meal with a sweet, bold and fruity Shiraz (Postcode Collection 09 Shiraz) to compliment the tart lemon and salty soy flavors from the two dishes. Bon Appetite!

What other warm quinoa dishes do you love? Share in the comments and we will feature our fave new recipe in a future Good Eats post.

Ingredients:
2.5 cups quinoa
4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
2 cups shelled edamame
2 TBSP lemon zest
juice from 1/2 lemon
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 TBSP tarragon, chopped
salt and pepper
1 small roasted red pepper, chopped 
1/2 cup toasted walnuts (coat pan in 1/2 tablespoon butter and toast walnuts on med-low heat for a few minutes - until you can smell them)

How I made it:
1. Follow package instructions to cook quinoa. Place in a serving bowl when cooked.
2. Cook edamame per package instructions (usually a few minutes boiling them or heating in microwave)
3. If you have a gas stove you can roast your red peppers fresh, or used jarred. Roast on open flame, watching carefully and turning as each side chars black on the outside, let cool and chop. Add to quinoa mix.
4. Mix lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, tarragon and salt and pepper. Toss over quinoa and stir to blend ingredients. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment